Theology for the Long Haul


Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving Thoughts


Each year I look forward to Thanksgiving Day- spending time with family, shopping, and eating so much food that I can no longer sit comfortably in any position. Sure traffic’s bad but that’s just another opportunity to show my wife my Jason Bourne-style driving skills. Yup, I love Thanksgiving.

This year God reminded me of something especially great to be thankful for. .. His return. My family is busy with preparations for Corrie, our boys, and my visit. I can tell that the preparations haven’t been easy; They cleaned out the guest room, set up two beds, bought a mattress, and installed a TV (so the boys can watch Toy Story 3). Doubtless, the preparations haven’t been easy but I’m certain if you asked my parents, they would tell you it was nothing. Why? Because for them it was an act of love. This act of love from my parents to my family made me think of John 14:1-3

"Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. "In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.”

In this passage Jesus expressed what was on His mind as His death and departure approached. He understood (unlike his disciples) that He was leaving soon, and was already contemplating the day when they would be with Him in His heavenly paradise. So what has Jesus been doing since that day? He has been preparing a place for us. The imagery here is that of a first century Jewish groom-to-be who is building a room onto is Father’s house for He, his bride, and his family to live in. In the same way, Jesus is building a room for us, and when He is finished He will return to take us there.

This Thanksgiving as you gather with family and friends, remember that you have a Father in heaven; and as you feast with your loved ones, remember the feast to come and those who will be there. Remember, above all, that you are deeply and passionately loved by a Savior who is joyfully and expectantly preparing a place for you. He hasn’t left you to the vices and pains of this life. When the time has come, He will come for you and take you to be with Him. Thank You Jesus. Come Lord Jesus!

Corrie asks you to pray that my driving this weekend doesn’t make that time come early for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment